Wednesday 19 October 2011

The Degradation of the Cartoon Network

Scooby Doo. My virtual pet at eight years of age

            I am just another 16 year old bloke. Now you would not have expected me to write on something as trivial as this. At my age, many individuals have ideas about political events and dream big. But I feel that in this road to growth people have lost out on their innocence It is true that CN is not on my view list anymore but occasionally I glance through just for laughs. It's all finished. The SWAT KATs:-T-Bone and Razor have been replaced by the younger version of a monkey whom we worship as a deity for lifting a whole fucking mountain.
                                       Neither am I an atheist nor blasphemous. But Cartoon Network belongs to Popeye, GI-JOE and Pokemon. It belongs to Johny Quest, Tom and Jerry, and Looney Tunes.Even Beyblade was not that bad. It belongs to the sphere of English speaking characters conceptualised on an American environment. Luckily Tom and Jerry has stood the test of time and is still a source of laughter-the evergreen cat and mouse chase. Sylvester and Tweety Pie has most likely faded into oblivion, if I am not mistaken. Justice League, one of my favorite shows has no new episodes yet it is a joy to recall the glorious scenes in the repetitions. How was I to know at the age of eight that nine years later tedious Indian mythologial characters would dominate the screen?
            It is true that small children get a rough idea of the stories of deities and the quintessential stories of victory of good over evil. But distortions have crept in and Krishna is now seen as a schoolboy having a roll call of 21 and the notorious uncle Kangsha is  potrayed as the headmaster.Is that how we learn our past?
                              I want those good old times back. My heart yearns for those. The child in me wishes to go back in time and relive those moments. But the mature young turk in me restricts me to Criminal Minds ,Dexter, Family Guy in Star World. I feel pity for the children of today. They will never be able to experience the joy and the thrill of collecting GI-JOE figurines,  Pokemon cards and Beyblades.
I know I am not the only one with such a mentality. There are many. These words are straight from the heart. Cartoon Network is every child's first love in the world of entertainment. Thus, my unwillingness to forgo my first love is justified.


"The Times are a Changing".
-Bob Dylan
 









No comments:

Post a Comment